Roof problems can be quite stressful, which is why giving your roof the proper maintenance it needs to last throughout the seasons is so important. Knowing what to look for, and how to care for your construction can add years to the life of your roof, and enhance the quality and value of your home.
At Your Home Improvement Company, we’re dedicated to helping our customers enhance the beauty, value, and comfort of the homes they live in. In this guide, we’re walking you through some of the basics in preventative roof maintenance, with simple tips on how you can make your rooftop last longer.
Is Your Roof Already Damaged?
If your roofing is already damaged, step one on the list is to fix it.
As obvious as it may sound, your roof needs to be in perfect shape before you can start thinking about preventative maintenance. Whether you’re dealing with loose shingles or broken tiles, water damage, mold, mildew, or leaks, contact a reputable company like Your Home Improvement Company to offer expert guidance on what to do next. Your contractor can help you to appropriately diagnose the problem and find an affordable, effective solution as soon as possible.
If your contractor thinks you need replacement, there’s probably a good reason why. A damaged and deteriorating roof can only get worse, and roof replacement can be the most cost-effective choice in the long-run.
Maintaining Your Roof for the Long-Term
Maintaining your roof means giving it the proper cleaning and upkeep it needs to prevent deterioration. This is especially important to complete before the winter season when weather conditions can wreak havoc on a weak and damaged roof.
To start, make sure to complete the following steps to ensure that your rooftop is in the best shape it can be:
- General Inspection: Routinely inspect your roof to make sure there are no signs of damage, like broken or missing tiles, loose shingles, holes, or gaps. As with any part of your home, you should perform a general inspection and repair to stay ahead of any minor issues so that they do not become larger ones down the road.
- Repair Damage Immediately: Even the smallest signs of damage, like a small crack or missing tile, can develop into huge problems quickly. Make sure to provide your roof with the proper care it needs, as soon as it needs it.
- Remove Loose Debris: Sweep your roof to remove dirt, rocks, branches, leaves, and any other debris that you can.
- Look for growing mold or moss: Moss and mold contribute towards rotting, which weakens your overall roof structure and can contaminate the air quality inside your home.
- Clear blocked Gutters, Soffits, and Downspouts: Be sure that your gutters aren’t blocked, and that they’re draining properly before heavy rains come to prevent water damage.
- Check Chimney, Skylights, and Vents for Damage: Keep your chimney, skylights, and vents clear and in good condition.
Roofing with Your Home Improvement Company
At Your Home Improvement Company, we understand the importance of your family’s safety and comfort, and how well-constructed, durable roofing can affect the quality of your investment. Since 2004, we’ve been dedicated to helping our customers improve their homes with top-quality services at affordable prices.
If you need help with roof installation or repair, don’t hesitate to contact us at Your Home Improvement Company. Give us a call over the phone to speak with an agent about your home improvement goals today, or fill out our online form to get started with a free, in-home, no-obligation estimate.